- Antonio Caruso, Vittorio Bilò. Special Issue of Theoretical Computer Science - Elsevier Journal Volume 764, Pages 1-172 (11 April 2019). [Publisher Link]
- Antonio Caruso, Vittorio Bilò. Proceedings of the 17th Italian Conference on Theoretical Computer Science (ICTCS 2016), Lecce, 7-9 Sep. 2016. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. [pdf]
- Melike Erol-Kantarci, Antonio Caruso. Ultra-Reliable and Low-Latency Communications for the Smart Grid. © Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018, X.(S.) Shen et al. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Wireless Networks, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-32903-1_245-1.
Refereed Journals and Magazines
Soledad Escolar, Caruso Antonio, Chessa Stefano, Xavier del Toro, López Juan Carlos. A Dynamic Programming Algorithm for High-Level Task Scheduling in Energy Harvesting IoT, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Volume: 5, Number: 3, June 2018. pp. 2234--2248, doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2018.2828943.
Abstract: Outdoor Internet of Things (IoT) applications usually exploit energy harvesting systems to guarantee virtually uninterrupted operations. However, the use of energy harvesting poses issues concerning the optimization of the utility of the application while guaranteeing energy neutrality of the devices. In this context, we propose a new dynamic programming algorithm for the optimization of the scheduling of the tasks in IoT devices that harvest energy by means of a solar panel. We show that the problem is NP-hard and that the algorithm finds the optimum solution in a pseudo-polynomial time. Furthermore, we show that the algorithm can be executed with a small overhead on three popular IoT platforms (namely TMote, Raspberry PI, and Arduino) and, by simulation, we show the behavior of the algorithm with different settings and at different conditions of energy production.
Michele Girolami, Stefano Chessa, Antonio Caruso. On Service Discovery in Mobile Social Networks: Survey and Perspectives, Computer Networks, Volume 88, September 2015, pp. 51--71, doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2015.06.006.
Mobile social networks represent a convergence between mobile communications and service-oriented paradigms, which are supported by the large availability and heterogeneity of resources and services offered by recent mobile devices. In particular, the service-oriented nature of MSN is in the capability of sharing resources and services among devices that lie in proximity and that opportunistically interact. Service discovery is thus of primary importance to sustain the most intimate mechanisms of MSN. Despite of their centrality, studies on service discovery in MSN are still in their youth. We contribute to frame the results achieved so far and to identify some possible perspectives of the research in this field, by giving a transversal review of the scientific outcomes in the different steps of service discovery, namely advertisement, query, selection and access.
Giuseppe Amato, Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa. Application-Driven, Energy-Efficient Communication in Wireless Networks, Computer Communications, Volume 32, Issue 5, 27 March 2009, Pages 896-906.
Several sensor network applications based on data diffusion and data management can determine the communication transfer rate between two sensors beforehand. In this framework, we consider the problem of energy efficient communication among nodes of a wireless sensor network and propose an application-driven approach that minimizes radio activity intervals and prolongs network lifetime. On the basis of possible communication delays we estimate packet arrival intervals at any intermediate hop of a fixed-rate data path. We study a generic strategy of radio activity minimization wherein each node maintains the radio switched on just in the expected packet arrival intervals and guarantees low communication latency. We define a probabilistic model that allows the evaluation of the packet loss probability that results from the reduced radio activity. The model can be used to optimally choose the radio activity intervals that achieve a certain probability of successful packet delivery for a specific radio activity strategy. Relying on the probabilistic model we also define a cost model that estimates the energy consumption of the proposed strategies, under specific settings. We propose three specific strategies and numerically evaluate the associated costs. We finally validate our work with a simulation made with TOSSIM (the Berkeley motes’ simulator). The simulation results confirm the validity of the approach and the accuracy of the analytic models.
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Piero Maestrini, Worst-case Diagnosis Completeness in Regular Graphs under the PMC Model, IEEE Transactions on Computers, 56 (7), July 2007, pp. 917-924.
- Luiz Carlos P. Albini, Antonio Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, Reliable routing in wireless ad hoc networks: the virtual routing protocol, Journal of Network and Systems Management, special issue of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks and Wireless sensor networks, 14 (3), September 2006, pp.335-358.
- Yeng-Zhong Lee, Mario Gerla, Jason Chen, Jiwei Chen, Biao Zhou, Antonio Caruso, Direction Forward Routing for Highly Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks, Journal Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Network, 2 (2) February 2006.
- Swades De, Antonio Caruso, Tamalika Chaira, and Stefano Chessa, Bounds on Hop Distance in Greedy Routing Approach in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, International Journal on Wireless and Mobile Computing, 1 (2), 2006, pp. 131-140.
- Antonio Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, P. Santi, Fault-Diagnosis of Grid Structures, Theoretical Computer Science, January 2003, pp. 1149-1174
- Antonio Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, P. Santi, Diagnosability of Regular Systems, Journal of Algorithms, November 2002, Vol 45, pp. 126-143.
- Antonio Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, P.Santi, Evaluation of a Diagnosis Algorithm for Regular Structures, IEEE Transaction on Computers, July 2002, Vol 51, number 7, pp. 16.
Refereed International Conferences
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Soledad Escolar, Xavier del Toro, Melisa Kuzman, Juan Carlos López. Experimenting Forecasting Models for Solar Energy Harvesting Devices for Large Smart Cities Deployments. MoCS 2019: The 9th Workshop on Management of Cloud and Smart City Systems In conjunction with IEEE ISCC 2019 – Barcelona, Spain.
- Melisa Kuzman, Xavier del Toro, Soledad Escolar, Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Juan Carlos López. A Testbed and an Experimental Public Dataset for Energy-Harvested IoT Solutions. 2019 IEEE 17th International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN) 22-25 July 2019 | Helsinki-Espoo, Finland.
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Soledad Escolar, Xavier Del Toro, Melisa Kuzman and Juan C. Lopez. Energy harvesting IoT devices as the reliable sensing backbone of smart cities. I-CiTies 2019 - 5th Italian conference on ICT for Smart Cities and Communities ©2019
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Bistarelli, "Modeling System Level Diagnosis problems with Abstract Argumentation - A Preliminary Work", ICTCS 2018, Urbino, 18-20 September 2018, Urbino, Italy.
- S. Escolar, Caruso Antonio; Chessa S., del Toro, Xavier; López, Juan Carlos, Félix J. Villanueva. "Statistical Energy Neutrality in IoT Hybrid Energy-Harvesting Networks", IEEE ISCC 2018,25-28 June 2018 – Natal, Brazil.
- Antonio Caruso and Melike Erol-Kantarci, Privacy-Utility Trade off in Big Data of Smart Cities, I-CiTies 2017, Bari.
- Flaviano Di Rienzo, Michele Girolami, Stefano Chessa, Francesco Paparella, Antonio Caruso. Signals From the Depths: Properties of Percolation Strategies with the Argo Dataset. ISCC 2016, Messina, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/iscc.2016.7543768. June 2016.
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Swades De, Relation between gradients and geographic distances in dense sensor networks with greedy message forwarding, (The Fourth International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications), Porto, Portugal, September 20-25, 2009.
- Erol M., L.F.M. Vieira, A. Caruso, F. Paperella, M. Gerla, S. Oktug, Multi Stage Underwater Sensor Localization Using Mobile Beacons, The Second International Workshop on Underwater Sensors and Systems (UNWAT2008), Cap Esterel (France), August 2008.
- A. Caruso, F. Paparella, Luiz Vieira, Melike Erol , Mario Gerla, The Meandering Current Mobility Model and its impact on Underwater Mobile Sensor Networks, INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- Nicola Filardi, Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, "Virtual Naming and Geographic Routing on Wireless Sensor Networks", The Twelfth IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Aveiro, Portugal, July 2007.
- Filippo Barsotti, Antonio Caruso, and Stefano Chessa, "The Localized Vehicular Multicast Middleware: a Framework for Ad Hoc Inter-Vehicles Multicast Communications", 10th WSEAS Int.Conf. on Communications, Athens, Greece, 10-15 July 2006, pp.6.
- Mario Gerla, Yeng-Zhong Lee, Biao Zhou, Jason Chen, Antonio Caruso, 'Direction' forwarding for highly mobile, large scale ad hoc networks", Mediterranean Ad Hoc Networking Workshop (MedHoc 2005), June 21-24, Ãle de Porquerolles, France.
- Antonio Caruso, Stefano Chessa, Swades De, Alessandro Urpi, "GPS Free Coordinate Assignment and Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks", 24th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), March 13 - 17 2005 in Miami, Florida USA. keywords: virtual coordinates, sensor networks, routing.
- A. Caruso, L. Albini, P. Maestrini, "A New Diagnosis Algorithm for Regular Interconnected Structures", First Latin American Symposium on Dependable Computing - LADC 2003 (LNCS 2847), Sao Paulo, Brasil, October 2003, pp. 264-281.
- A. Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, P.Santi, "Diagnosis of Regular Structures", Proc. IEEE DSN 2000, International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (FTCS 30), New York, USA, 25-28 June 2000, pp.25.
- A. Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, "Comparison-Based Diagnosis of VLSI Wafers", DDECS 2000, Slovakia, April 5-7 2000a, pp.227-232.
- A. Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, P.Santi, "Reliable Diagnosis of Grid-Connected Systems", Proc. IEEE LATW 2000, first Latin-American Test Workshop, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 13-15 March 2000, pp.163-165.
- A. Caruso, S. Chessa, P. Maestrini, "Wafer-Scale VLSI Testing", Proc. IEEE TMRCS 2000, Test Methods and Reliability of Circuits and Systems, Grassau, Germany, 1/l1 March 2000, pp.4.
Antonio Caruso, Diagnosi di guasti su multiprocessori con rete di interconnessione a grado costante, Tesi di Laurea, University of Pisa, Italy, April 1997. (Italian)